Stroll the streets of the metropolis and stroll through history
The best way to see the city is by taking the slow walk, with layers of its rich history spreading out on the streets that lead from the main Jelačić square and Dolac market, one of the most colorful open-air markets in this part of , Europe is gently revealed, from Opatovina to Kaptol or perhaps via Radićeva Street to the Steintor and on to Banski dvori and the colorful roof of St. Mark's Church.
Zagreb can also be explored with the blue trams. These modern chariots travel in all directions and pulsate day and night like a heart in the living fabric of the city. Through their windows, they offer the most original frames for scenes reminiscent of Zagreb. With around 20 theaters, 30 museums, 45 galleries and 13 art collections, a large zoo and almost a million inhabitants, Zagreb is a real Croatian metropolis that attracts guests of all profiles.
Human settlements in the wider Zagreb area appear long ago, in prehistoric times. Among the oldest sites is the Veternica cave on the southwestern slopes of Medvednica, and the finds date back to the Old Stone Age.
1300 - 750 BC
There are traces of human life in the lowlands around the Sava River; bronze tools and graves of the so-called urn field crops named after burning the dead and storing ashes in earthen urns.
In the area of today's Zagreb lived the indigenous Andautonian family. Excavations revealed ramparts, sewage remains, necropolises, traces of the port and many small materials. The core of old Andautonia was on the site of today's village of Šćitarjevo, on the right bank of the Sava, 7 kilometers northeast of Velika Gorica. The Andautonians disappeared during the period from the 4th to the 7th century during the great migrations of the people, and the members of the remnants of the tribe were called Vlachs by the Croats who came in the 7th century, and their village Vlaška or Laska ves.
Early Middle Ages
In the area of Krug (Trnje), several graves with earthen vessels and iron tools and weapons from the 8th century were found from that period. The discovery of old Croatian jewelry in the graves on Kaptol shows that there was a settlement there in the 10th and 11th centuries. Smaller individual finds (early Byzantine money from the 6th century) on Grič contribute to the belief that there was a settlement in that part of today's Upper Town as well.
In 1094, the Hungarian king Ladislav founded the Zagreb diocese east of the Medveščak stream. Along with the diocese, there was previously a settlement of craftsmen and merchants - Vlaška ves.
1134. A written charter is issued mentioning the founder of the diocese, King Ladislav, the first bishop of Zagreb, Duh, and the rest of the clergy. This is the first written trace of the Zagreb diocese. The seat of the royal county was also located in the episcopal settlement.
1217. The consecrated table church was completed, which was severely damaged during the Tatar invasion in 1242. Tatar hordes passed through the regions of the Hungarian-Croatian state. The surviving population of Zagreb sought refuge in the forests of Mount Medvednica. After the departure of the Tatars, part of the population returned to the higher hill, which was separated from the neighboring episcopal settlement by the Medveščak stream. King Bela IV, who himself withdrew before the Tatars, granted the new settlement and its inhabitants a charter - the Golden Bull with recognized significant self-governing privileges in the internal organization, judiciary and economic life. Gradec becomes a free royal city exempted from the ban and county authority and directly subject to the king, and the citizens undertook to fortify the settlement of Gradec with walls. It is estimated that at that time Zagreb had approximately 1000 inhabitants.
1254. The construction of the Medvedgrad fortress, built by Bishop Filip on the slopes of Medvednica and in which church valuables were stored, was completed. With its later scope, Medvedgrad was one of the largest burgs in Croatia. After the earthquake in 1590 it was abandoned, and as early as 1642 it is mentioned as a ruin.
1257 The fortification of the Gradec settlement, which was then first mentioned in written sources as the "Gradec fortress", was completed. The city had four gates, of which the oldest, the Stone Gate, has been preserved to this day.
1273. The first feudal-class "assembly of the whole kingdom of Slavonia" was held; only from 1558 will the Croatian lands have a joint parliament.
1284. The first mention of the Ban's Palace on Kaptol - the first known Ban's residence in Zagreb in historical documentation. However, even then the ban resided mainly in neighboring Gradec, which was a safer place as a fortified place.